Low-FODMAP | Vegan | Gluten-Free
- 800g (28oz) fresh, crushed tomatoes (can also use crushed tinned tomatoes)
- 1 spring onion, green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 4 red chillies finely chopped (if making for kids, eliminate the chillies)
- 1 Tbsp, fresh ginger finely-chopped
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar.
- Freshly-ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar
NOTE: If you are making the sauce for pasta or pizza, eliminate the sugar and vinegar
- For fresh tomatoes, place in a bowl and mix through salt and pepper. Set aside to allow the salt to bring the juices out of the tomatoes.
- In a heavy-based frying pan, add the garlic-infused olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add ginger, chilli and spring onions and saute gently until almost caramelised.
- Add capsicum, simmering until tender.
- De-glaze (which means to make a gravy or sauce) with the crushed tomatoes.
- Boil, adding sugar and vinegar. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Blend with a stick mixer, then cook for a further 5 mins.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.