- 2 cups of gluten-free flour (buckwheat, spelt, rice, whatever you have)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2.5 cups of whatever sort of milk you use (soy, rice, hazelnut…)
- 1 egg (or egg alternative)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (real maple syrup, or rice bran syrup works too)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 pod vanilla bean seeds (optional)
- Turn on the waffle maker – it takes a while to get to the right temperature.
- If you need to keep the waffles warm until you eat them, turn the oven or warming drawer on.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl and combine.
- Add milk, beaten egg, syrup, sugar and vanilla – whisk together. It can be a bit lumpy.
Making the waffles
Every waffle maker is slightly different, but the gist of it is the same – add the batter to the waffle maker so it spreads across the whole platform, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove with a rubber spatula (to avoid scratching the non-stick waffle surface and breaking the waffle).
Eat, or put onto an oven to warm until you are ready to eat them.
Add more syrup, fruit, yoghurt, or whatever seems good to you.