Pesco-Vegan | Gluten-Free | OMS
- 2L water
- 4 lemongrass stalks
- 1 inch galangal rhizome (what is galangal?)
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 10 Thai chillies
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 500g raw prawns (shelled)
- 300g oyster mushrooms
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 medium white onions
- 2 tsp sugar
- 8-12 Tbsp fish sauce (to taste)
- 8-12 Tbsp lime juice (about 12 medium-sized limes)
- Bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Boil the water.
- Squeeze the lime juice, and set aside.
- Prepare the lemongrass stalks by removing the outermost layer of leaf. Discard this layer. Lightly beat the stalks to release the flavours, then slice in diagonal strips an inch long.
- Get a small knob of the galangal root and slice it.
- Break off 10 kaffir lime leaves without cutting – tear them to release the flavour better.
- Peel your garlic cloves.
- With the 10 Thai bird chillies, the amount you want to use is up to your tastes. Remove the stems of the chillies then cut them in half, or beat them slightly to release flavours. If you like more mild flavours, remove the seeds.
- Prepare your prawns as required, removing shells, heads, and veins. Throw away the poo-tube veins, but keep the heads and shells to make stock out of later – it’s absolutely delicious. Prawn stock recipe.
- Clean your mushrooms.
- Slice the tomatoes and two white onions into large, chunky wedges.
- Put the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, garlic and chillies into the boiling water for 10 minutes. Cover and boil to release herb and spice flavours faster.
- Put the prawns into the pot, then reduce the heat to low for 1 minute.
- Add clean mushrooms to the pot.
- Add tomato and onion to the soup.
- Bring back to the boil for 2-3 minutes, scooping foam scum off the top of the soup and throw away as it cooks – this is from the prawns.
- Add 6 tablespoons of fish sauce and 2 teaspoons of sugar. (This is just for starters – you may add more later).
- Boil for 1 more minute then take off heat. Mushrooms and onion should be soft.
- Add 8 tablespoons of lime juice, but taste test it after 5 tablespoons and keep tasting it.
- Check your sugar, lime and fish sauce flavours for perfection, adding more if necessary.
- Chop your coriander and throw it in the pot, stirring once. Don’t boil coriander or the lime juice.
- This is the clear version of the soup. For the creamy version, see added instructions below.
Creamy Tom Yum
21. Turn the heat back onto low, and add three large tablespoons of Thai roasted chilli sauce to the soup, and stir.
22. Add 10 tablespoons of evaporated milk.
23. Mix and let warm for a minute.
24. Taste test – check for lime juice or fish sauce that needs adding.