- Fresh artichokes, hearts only
- Fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- Olive oil
- Prepare the artichoke hearts for cooking by removing all the petals from the artichoke, scooping out the choke (the furry bit) with a sharp spoon, and peeling the stem with a peeler until it appears bright green.
- Rub the whole thing with some lemon juice or vinegar to prevent greying of the flesh (the colour changes quickly once exposed to air). If you don’t want to add the gentle acid to your next dish, you can use olive oil instead for the same effect.
- You are left with the heart which you can roast, fry or sauté any way you like, and add to other dishes or eat by itself.