- 8 large organic or free-range eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Optional extras: finely-sliced deseeded red chilli and/or fresh herbs
- Crack the eggs into a jug, adding a very small pinch of salt and pepper. Use a fork to beat together.
- In a saucepan over low heat, add the butter/oil, and allow to melt completely.
- When the butter gets bubbly or the oil gets a bit less viscous, pour in the eggs.
- Stir the eggs slowly with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to ensure the egg can be scraped back into the middle from the sides.
- Add chilli and/or herbs if desired.
- When the eggs are silky, slightly runny and look just undercooked, remove from the heat. Eggs continue to cook after you remove them from the heat, so the heat of the pan will cook them just right.
- Serve alone or with toast.