Vegan | Low-FODMAP | Gluten-Free | OMS-Friendly
- 1 head of green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- Vinegar and/or lemon juice
- Olive oil
- To tenderise the cabbage somewhat, add vinegar and salt to the shredded cabbage and leave it for an hour. You want to add just enough that the liquid is drawn from the cabbage and the acid breaks down some of the bonds of the fibres. This will help to draw out more moisture.
- Pour off the resultant liquid after one hour, season again with more vinegar or lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
- Add other items as you wish – garlic, some onion, crushed cumin, almonds, sesame oil, cilantro – or leave it be. It’s delicious as it is.
Keeps well for a day, with the cabbage becoming more peppery.