Vegan | Gluten-Free | OMS-Friendly
Makes 4 cups
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 finely-chopped onions
- 2 finely-chopped carrots
- 2 finely-chopped sticks of celery
- 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 cups of sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 5 cups of water
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrot, then cook, covered, stirring sometimes until the vegetables are soft and browning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer gently. Simmer for an hour or until the stock’s flavour deepens.
- Strain stock, discarding vegetables.
Tips for great vegetable stock
- Finely chop the vegetables – greater surface area means more flavour can be extracted.
- Sweat the vegetables at the beginning – it adds depth to the flavour.
- Mushrooms add natural MSG, so go nuts.
- Using cold water means more molecules dissolve in the different temperatures, adding to the depth of flavour.
- Simmering is preferable over boiling.
- Don’t forget to taste test!