Low-FODMAP | Gluten-Free | Vegan | OMS-Friendly
Time to prepare and cook: 90 minutes
- 2 large tins of tomatoes (whole, peeled, separated from juice)
- 1 cup of leek greens (green tops only, finely sliced)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- Half cup of red wine
- Quarter cup of minced green chives
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh minced oregano
- 2 tsp fresh minced basil
- 2 tsp minced capers
- 2 Tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Strain the tomatoes, and ensure all juice is out of them by squeezing them softly. Keep the juice aside.
- Prepare the vegetables as above.
- Mix the tomato juice, red wine, chives, both vinegars and the herbs in a pot, and bring to the boil. Lower to a simmer, and simmer off half the liquid (around 20 minutes).
- Preheat grill (broiler).
- Heat an oven-friendly frying pan to moderate heat, and add the garlic-infused olive oil, the leek greens, carrot and celery. Sweat until tender. If you don’t have a cast iron frying pan, you can use your normal frying pan then transfer to a heatproof dish for the next step.
- Add tomatoes, stir, then put the whole pan under the grill (broiler) on the top or second shelf, leaving the over door/grill flap open. Cook like this for 15-20 minutes until the tops of the vegetables turn darkish (slight char). This is a flavour additive.
- Return the vegetables to the stove in the frying pan over a medium heat, then add capers. Saute.
- Combine the reduced tomato juice reduction and vegetables, then blend to your desired texture.
- Return to the pot, adding salt and pepper to taste, simmering for 5 minutes further.